5 Tips to Help Plan your Weekly Food Shop
8th July 2020
Share this post
Shopping can be either a joy or a chore. But don’t worry, we’re here to make things a bit easier. Over the next three blogs, we are sharing our top tips to help you get the best value out of your shopping and maybe save a few euro on your shopping bill.
We’ll be looking at three specific areas; food planning, financial planning and things to remember when at the supermarket. Up first, food planning and five tips to remember when creating a shopping list.
- Know your budget and how much you have available to spend. Food shopping can be one of the biggest household expenses. Knowing how much you can spend will help you feel more in control of your money. If you spend around the same every week, use this as a starting point and see if you can make savings.
- Plan your meals for the week. A well-thought-out meal plan means you will stick with what’s on your shopping list, and ensure you get a balanced diet. If there are leftovers, you can have them for lunch the next day or even freeze them. Click here for Meal Planners ideas.
- Make a shopping list of everything you need, keeping in mind how much you can spend and the price of the food items. The list can be put together from your weekly menu planner. Be sure to check what you already have in your presses.
- Organise your kitchen presses in a clean and presentable way. It’s easier to see what you have and what’s needed. This will help you to not buy more of what you already have.
- Clean out your kitchen presses, fridge and freezer at least once a month to use up any leftovers. Check ingredients are in date before use. Have some fun and turn it into a monthly tradition – the Kitchen Cupboard Clear-out Challenge. What new and wonderful creations can you come up with? Perhaps a new family favourite? Be sure to share your creations on our social media channels using #MABSClearoutChallenge.
Have you got a tip or shopping hack that you’d like to share? Perhaps you have a question that we haven’t covered here? We’d love to hear from you, so be sure to follow us on social media, share your ideas or send us your questions.
You can contact your local office here, chat through our online chat or call the MABS Helpline on 0761 07 2000, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 8pm or you can check the MABS News Feed for further updates and guidance.