6 Tips to Save on your Weekly Food Shop
22nd July 2020
Share this post
Last time, we shared five tips on how to plan your shopping list and generate a meal plan. This week, the focus is on how to prepare your budget for your shop. Read on for useful tips on how to spend your money wisely.
- Before you head out to the shops, ensure to have your coupons with you. For example, Dunnes Stores have a €10 off a €50 spend. Supervalu have €6 off a €30 spend. Keep your eye out for other discount vouchers or loyalty cards programmes like Tesco clubcard, most stores have these.
- Shop only once a week, if possible. You are likely to spend more if you go shopping more than once a week. Unplanned shopping trips for one or even two things might result in you purchasing extras. Not to mention, you’ll make a saving on your transport costs.
- Bring your own shopping bags, as this will save you the expense of buying plastic bags. If you need to replace your reusable shopping bags, look for sturdy ones – they might cost more at first, but will last longer.
- Be careful of special offers. There is no point in buying something that sits rotting in your fridge or at the back of the cupboard until it expires, and definitely don't buy a new product in bulk if you've never tried it before. Don’t buy things just because they are on offer, ask yourself if you really need them and will use them.
- Be aware of prices and do a supermarket shop comparison. Often there will be a significant difference. Visit www.supermarket.ie to do your comparisons.
- You can get ideas for how to reduce food waste on Stopfoodwaste.ie. Have you for meals already prepared and in the freezer? Get into the habit of using these by having freezer Fridays. You can also pop a list of your freezer's contents on the door of the freezer to help with your meal plans.
Have you got a tip or shopping hack that you’d like to share? Perhaps you have a question that we haven’t covered here? We’d love to hear from you, so be sure to follow us on social media, share your ideas or send us your questions.
You can contact your local office here, chat through our online chat or call the MABS Helpline on 0761 07 2000, Monday to Friday, from 9am to 8pm or you can check the MABS News Feed for further updates and guidance.